Temporary Work Visa for Religious Workers (R-1)

The R-1 visa has become increasingly complex and more difficult to obtain over the years, due to multiple case of mass fraud. A few examples are cited below:



Due to these and many other incidents, R-1 visas are no longer processed directly at U.S. embassies, and the process is two-fold: 1) A petition must be filed with USCIS; 2) When the petition is approved, an application for the R visa must be made at the U.S. embassy in the foreign national’s home country.

To get an idea of the rigorous requirements imposed please see the following link:


SMA has processed many religious visas over the years, for pastors and priests, Hebrew teachers and choral directors, to name a few. The important thing to keep in mind is that the sponsoring entity in the U.S. must be qualified for 501 (c) (3) status by the Internal Revenue Service, or the petition will be denied immediately.

If you have any further questions, please contact Steve Maggi at smaggi@smalawyers.com.

Comments are closed.

Legal Disclaimer: The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of this law firm or any of its attorneys. Transmission or receipt of any information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. Moreover, because the law is constantly changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. This is considered Attorney Advertising by some Bar Associations. Prior results do not imply future similar results.

© 2017 SMA Law Firm, Steve Maggi ESQ, US Immigration and Consular Lawyer, US Immigration Lawyers. Our list of US Visa services include EB-1 Visa - Foreign National of Extraordinary Ability - Outstanding Professors and Researchers, EB-2 Visa - Workers with Advance Degrees or Exceptional Ability in the Sciences Arts or Business, EB-3 Visa: Skilled Workers and Professionals, EB-4 Visa: Special Immigrant Visas for Religious Workers, EB-5 Visa: Investor/Employment Creation Visas, H-1 Visa, L-1 Visa, O-1 Visa and Other US Immigration Visas.

SMA Immigration Law Firm New York Office: 222 Broadway, 19th Floor, NY, NY 10038 - Phone: (212) 402-6885 Fax: (646) 786-4734
SMA Immigration Law Firm London Office: Nabas Legal - International Lawyers City Business Centre, St Olav Court, Lower Road, Unit 23 London SE16 2XB - Phone:+44 (0) 20 7252 0106 - Contact: Herman Santiago - Email: HSantiago@nabaslegal.com
SMA Immigration Law Firm Amsterdam Office: Stage-USA - Haparandaweg 67b6, 1013 BD Amsterdam. Contact: Andries Bonneur - Email: abonneur@stage-usa.nl

SMA Immigration Law Firm on Facebook, SMA Immigration Law Firm on Twitter, SMA Immigration Law Firm on Google+