Temporary USA Transit Visa (C-1)

Occasionally people people apply for a tourist visa when they actually need a transit visa. While these visas are much more limited in scope, they generally require less scrutiny and the standards for showing ties to one’s home country (as with tourist or business visas) are generally less stringent, as the focus is kept squarely the necessity to enter the U.S. only temporarily for the purposed of making a stop on the way to a final destination. Therefore, this visa is exclusively for citizens of a foreign country traveling in immediate and continuous transit through the U.S. en route to a foreign destination.

Sometimes, due to the fact that the tourist/business visa (B1/B2) is generally given for up to ten year periods, while the C-1 may only be awarded for the time period for the planned trip to be completed, makes it the best one to apply for, but it all depends on the individual circumstances of each case. The C-1 is typically applied for one has not had a tourist visa previously and when the person is simply stopping in an airport to change planes or refuel or is going to take a cruise from a U.S. port of call.

The transit visa application is submitted at a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. Steve Maggi specializes in preparing application packets for clients, filling out all forms, and assessing the unique situation of the applicant and assisting them in preparation for their interview with a consular officer. Scrutiny has risen exponentially in the past few years and a higher percentage of C visa applicants are being rejected. That is why preparing for the interview with an experienced attorney is recommended. Please see the following link for visa refusal rates to gauge how difficult it is to get the visa in your home country.

Comments are closed.

Legal Disclaimer: The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of this law firm or any of its attorneys. Transmission or receipt of any information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. Moreover, because the law is constantly changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. This is considered Attorney Advertising by some Bar Associations. Prior results do not imply future similar results.

© 2017 SMA Law Firm, Steve Maggi ESQ, US Immigration and Consular Lawyer, US Immigration Lawyers. Our list of US Visa services include EB-1 Visa - Foreign National of Extraordinary Ability - Outstanding Professors and Researchers, EB-2 Visa - Workers with Advance Degrees or Exceptional Ability in the Sciences Arts or Business, EB-3 Visa: Skilled Workers and Professionals, EB-4 Visa: Special Immigrant Visas for Religious Workers, EB-5 Visa: Investor/Employment Creation Visas, H-1 Visa, L-1 Visa, O-1 Visa and Other US Immigration Visas.

SMA Immigration Law Firm New York Office: 222 Broadway, 19th Floor, NY, NY 10038 - Phone: (212) 402-6885 Fax: (646) 786-4734
SMA Immigration Law Firm London Office: Nabas Legal - International Lawyers City Business Centre, St Olav Court, Lower Road, Unit 23 London SE16 2XB - Phone:+44 (0) 20 7252 0106 - Contact: Herman Santiago - Email: HSantiago@nabaslegal.com
SMA Immigration Law Firm Amsterdam Office: Stage-USA - Haparandaweg 67b6, 1013 BD Amsterdam. Contact: Andries Bonneur - Email: abonneur@stage-usa.nl

SMA Immigration Law Firm on Facebook, SMA Immigration Law Firm on Twitter, SMA Immigration Law Firm on Google+